Freedom From Obstacles
Paul said in Romans 7, I’m a mystery to myself, for I want to do what is right, but end up doing what my moral instincts condemn. And if my behavior is not in line with my desire, my conscience still confirms the excellence of the law. And now, I realize that it is no longer my true self doing it, but the unwelcome intruder of sin in my humanity.
There are two types of Obstacles, natural and spiritual, that block freedom.
- Internal agreement/disagreement
Have you ever thought, “I know this to be true in my mind, but it feels like it is not true.” Or asked yourself, why do I keep doing the thing that I don’t want to do? If you’ve done that, you have experienced Internal disagreement. That is what Paul describes in the scripture above, I realize that it is no longer my true self doing it, but the unwelcome intruder of sin in my humanity. He had an internal disagreement going on. In Proverbs 23:7, it says, For as he thinks in his heart, so is he. The devil is a divider, so if he can take your mind, will, and emotions and get you in a disagreement with yourself, then he has won the battle. If your identity is not in Christ, you will start making choices that change the pattern of your life.
Obstacles encountered in the battleground of the soul:
- Core Lies – Core lies are the ones that attack our identity; they are things said or implied to us over and over. They are reinforced by repetition because if we hear something long enough, it eventually seems true. You are ugly, nobody will ever love you, you will never be safe.
Good news, we have the antidote! The antidote is experiencing the love of the One who is truth!
- Soul Wounds – The effect of trauma on any part of the soul.
This wound also provides fertile soil for the lies mentioned already to take root. Because of the intensity, the lies are deeply imprinted. The soul can only rearrange itself around these types of wounds. So we must learn to connect to the One who can heal us, or we will try to be the source of our own healing. We can not heal a soul wound ourselves!
- Life Patterns – We put up a wall so that we won’t be hurt, and we block everyone out. We put up so many defense systems that people can’t get to us, so we perceive that they are rejecting us, but the reality is they can get through the guard that you have set up.
Spiritual Obstacles – The term spiritual obstacles refers to factors within the spiritual realm that may prevent us from becoming who we are.
- The power of agreement. Spirit forces are empowered by agreement, and we tune into them like you would the frequency of a radio station. When our hearts become tuned to any frequency besides love, we begin to empower the kingdom of darkness.
- Evil. The most difficult enemy to defeat is the one that you don’t acknowledge exists. Evil is real, evil is a spiritual entity, evil operates undercover, and its primary weapon is deception.
Guess what! When we understand our authority, and who we are in Christ, the enemy is defeated, evil is defeated!
How do we do that? It says in Ephesians – Be supernaturally infused with strength through your life-union with the Lord Jesus. Stay tuned into His kingdom and let Him strengthen you and teach you to walk in His freedom!
Message from Church on the Lake by Pastor Mike Hooper
Blog by Jami Johns